Saturday 15 August 2015

You are always reblogging the most amazing kolly gifsets that make me want to watch, but I don't know where to start. Got any recommendations?

okay so firstly here’s my film rec tag and my music rec tag but those are geared more to people who know their stuff (they include more artsy films) and I believe south-indian-spice has a tag for south recs

now I’m pretty sure you’ll find links for most of these w/eng subs if you type the names in google. be warned you need at the most a good 3 hours to watch a movie. (sometimes as little as 90 min) - also I refer to movies by the actors, not directors 

The very first time I showed a Tamil film to a non-tamil I went with Enthiran which at the time was the biggest budget film in India, starring Rajinikanth and Aishwarya Rai who are super epic. They do something, your roll with it because they can get away with that. (What happened after - the person never gave me the DVD back they liked it so much). It’s a good intro bc it’s structured like a typical Kollywood commerical film with a touch of Hollywood. (plus its a newer film but out for a few years you should be able to find it easily). 

And now here’s some movies picked form my rec list:

  • Boys (2003): a coming of age story about five guys who are all playe dby new comers; three of them are still actors; the first tamil movie where there was a completely animated character
  • Thuppaki: a Vijay action-y film about a military man on holidays that even non-Vijay lovers liked because it had good balance between the romance/comedy and action sides of a commerical film
  • Pizza: it’s a really good movie if you like horror  because #plottwist - also Vijay Sethupathi is rad 
  • Madrasapattinam is good for a romance and it also introduces you to the idea of British ruled India and the revolution 
  • Raavanan is good bc Mani Ratnam direction and Vikram and Aishwarya Rai… its a bit more artsy and it’s a reinterpretation of mythology but good if you like non-commerical feeling films (there’s also a Hindi version)
  • Ko is another good commerical film bc it has some social justice themes and you’re unraveling the mystery with out hero 

//I’ll add some not from the lists on here later

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management